iPad Mech games, etc.

Enjoy conversations with Battletech fans. Exchange ideas, ask questions, post new content.

Moderators: AVA MANGO TWO, Ravion Hawk, Steve Ronin

Typhoon
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

iPad Mech games, etc.

Post by Typhoon » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:29 pm

I am consolidating a number of threads and trying to add some short reviews of each. I will post from my least favourite to most favourite.

1) "Mech Defense" - a top down game that pits the player against an endless array of enemies in successive rounds. You choose between two mechs. The controls are not easy to work and I often find myself facing the wrong way at the slightest move of my thumb. The playing area is a small city-like area which is fine the first few times but gets boring after a few rounds. The player can run to a spot away from the enemy to let his/her mech build up its armour when nearing depletion. There is a "store" where you can buy various new weapons and equipment. Overall, it is okay but really needs some variety of terrain, the city gets boring quickly. A good idea but needs more.

March 6th update on the above. Got an update to the game which supposedly adds another mech choice but I have yet to find out. The game just got too repetitive to keep my attention.

2) "Heavy Mach: Defense" - Yep, it is a mech game despite the "mach" in the title. It too is "top-down". I have played this one a lot and it is okay, better than the above game, but it too has some big downsides. First, it tends to resolve into a game of attrition, if the player can build up his forces faster than the attacker attacks then s/he can defeat them. The second is that it gets repetitive with the same terrain getting repeated later in the game. The last downside is the fact that you really only control building your "machs" and upgrading them. The game does the movement and the attacking. Despite these downsides, it does get challenging in later levels. It isn't always easy building units when the enemy is attacking you with a large amount of forces. I found an answer but I'm not telling. :wink: You get "cells" (I liken them to energy cells) to build units. Each unit costs a number of cells to build. You also get in-game cash to use for upgrading the various units in your arsenal, various extra attack missiles, and to upgrade your base.
The object of the game is to march your units across the board to attack the enemy's base and to keep them from destroying your base.

3) "Heavy Mach 2" This is a game from the same company as #2. However, in this game you have more control over your "mach". You get to tap on the screen to tell the "mach" where to move and tap on an enemy to tell it to attack the unit. Once again, you are looking down at your "mach". This game, unlike the above, gives you missions that you have to complete. Once you complete the mission you return to base to get a new mission, sell off items you have gathered, upgrade your "mach" with new parts, weapons, and armour, and to add some extras to your attack, e.g. attack drones or drones that pick up items dropped.
You will upgrade your skill level very quickly in the beginning and every time your skill goes up a new level new weapons and equipment are available. This game is challenging until you reach a high skill level and have some high hit point weapons on your "mach". Once you are at this point it gets easy to kill even the biggest tank or turret. The fun is still there but only for the fun of destroying something.

4) "Metal Brigade Tactics" This is probably my favourite of the bunch. It is more like a BT game, turn based. You start out with a medium class mech and have to battle your way through a variety of scenarios in a number of different terrains, including inside defence installations. It is a challenge on all difficulty settings to get through the game. You can upgrade your mech at the end of each scenario or can move to another mech. You also get certain skill bonuses if you use the same weapon types, e.g. an artillery skill bonus if you use artillery weapons. One downside, your mech may have two weapons but you can only use one in a turn.

Like the others on this list it is a top-down game but unlike the others it is turn based. It is a challenging game and the scenarios are not easy. There is also a "skirmish" level where you can pit a force of your choice against another force you choose on any of the scenario "boards". Oh, and there is a Windows PC version you can get from the Busking software webpage. What I would like to see with MBT is a multiplayer version where you can pit your force against another player. That would up the value, still, fun game.

The graphics in all the games is very good and, so far, the glitches to game control are few and any there do not interfere with the game. Metal Brigade Tactics (MBT) hasn't got any problems at this point, as far as I can find.

The last thing I will include is:

5) "MechSheet" - This isn't a game but a way to use your iPad to make mech Record Sheets or to print off pre-made RS. So far, the pre-made RS are only 3025 mechs. Printing off sheets with "Air Print" was easy but the RS didn't print off perfectly on my printer. I didn't play around with the settings on my printer or "MechSheet" so I don't know if it was an issue with my printer or the software. Still, it is a valuable item to have and if they continue to upgrade it, it will be even more worthwhile having on your iPad.

March 6th update. This got updated too. The designer added a few new mechs to the list. Still only pre-Clan invasion mechs but I am thrilled someone went and made this.

My searches have led to other mech games but I haven't spent money on them to review them. Several do not appear worthwhile, in my opinion, but if anyone has another mech game then post a review. I will post more myself.
Last edited by Typhoon on Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Typhoon
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Typhoon » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:31 am

Tracked down an iPad mech game called "Mech Warrior". Yep, it has that name and it has images of the mechs we know in BT. I have no idea if there is any affiliation between the company that designed the game and MS et al. I certainly hope not if the bad reviews are anything to go by. I'm not buying the game because of the reviews, I'd rather spend the money on something else.

Also, I noticed on one official site, MechWarrior Online?, that there is an iOS Mechwarrior game in the planning stages. When this comes out I will be all over it. Hopefully it will be the mech game of my dreams.

A review http://www.prweb.com/releases/mechwarri ... 014315.htm Hope it comes to fruition.

Dart Omega
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Dart Omega » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:20 am

I liked it up to the point they used what looked like that pos mechwarrior atlas(if you can really call that piece of trash an atlas).

Typhoon
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Typhoon » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:53 am

Dart Omega wrote:I liked it up to the point they used what looked like that pos mechwarrior atlas(if you can really call that piece of trash an atlas).
Which game did you play? Was it the "Mech Warrior" game, which appears to be unofficial because I can`t find any reference to it on official BT, etc sites?

Dart Omega
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Dart Omega » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:28 am

it was mechwarrior tactical command.

at :43 you see a close up of its head
at :44 - :47 you see the rest of its block frame(which shouldn't have been called an Atlas :evil: )
Last edited by Dart Omega on Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Typhoon
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Typhoon » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:04 am

Dart Omega wrote:it was mechwarrior tactical command.

at :43 you see a close up of its head
at :44 - :47 you see the rest of its block frame(which shouldn't have been called an Atlas :evil: )
I have yet to see "Mechwarrior: Tactical Command". I wasn't aware it had been released on iOS.

If the game is good, I really don't care what the Atlas looks like. I'm not playing because of the looks of the mechs. If the game mechanics are good and the game is enjoyable then I'll play it despite the fugly looking Atlas.

Okay, I watched the trailer on Youtube and I have to say, honestly, I think you are over reacting. It isn't all that bad and it is a damn sight better than the MW:DA Atlas. I can live with the Atlas in this game, especially if the game is outstanding!

The "Mech Warrior" I mentioned is not the one you saw from what I can tell.
Last edited by Typhoon on Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dart Omega
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Dart Omega » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:06 am

I guess I cannot back a game that has anything to do with dark age stuff in it.
as to the one you seen I know what you are talking about, now that was a real atlas and how all Atlas in any mechwarrior/battletech games should have been done.

Typhoon
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Typhoon » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:14 am

Dart Omega wrote:I guess I cannot back a game that has anything to do with dark age stuff in it.
as to the one you seen I know what you are talking about, now that was a real atlas and how all Atlas in any mechwarrior/battletech games should have been done.
The other mechs in this trailer were damn good, the TimberWolf and the Panther looked great. The Atlas was odd, true, but I can live with it.

Dart Omega
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Dart Omega » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:34 am

oh I agree the Timber Wolf was great as was the Panther.
if they got rid of the Dark age garbage then it would be 100% golden.

Typhoon
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Re: iPad Mech games, etc.

Post by Typhoon » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:30 am

A long overdue update.

Some recent additions to my iPad/iPhone mech games apps are:

1) Walking War Robots - more of an arena style game with a variety of mechs and a variety of weapons to purchase. It is a fun game. The controls relatively easy to use and master. It divides online players into two teams and you have to "capture" or "liberate" beacons. If your mech is standing beside or near a beacon it changes from either a neutral white colour or to the colour of your team. Games usually last about ten minutes and the winner is the team with the most beacons under their control or the last team standing.

The game is free and you can build up in game money and gold but the latter is slow and some weapons cost a great deal of gold to buy. This means that you have to learn what mechs and weapons to hide from, what weapons do the best damage from positions where your mech is not vulnerable, and when to use your in game finances to upgrade your mechs and weapons. Unfortunately it has the same problem as a whole lot of games now namely "in app purchases"!

I'm enjoying it but it is very frustrating getting killed by players who are willing to spend lots of real cash getting the biggest, best, and baddest kit. Thankfully I have controlled my urges to spend money.

2) MechWarrior: Tactical Command - I bought this game ages ago and suffered endless problems until a while ago. They finally updated it so it ran smoothly enough to play.

The game is more like a MechCommander 2 game with a number of scenarios pitting the player against the Clans or Inner Sphere foes. The setting is early in the Clan Invasion era. Over all it is a well done game but I'd advise against using an iPhone or any screen smaller than an iPad. You can zoom in and out but the smaller screen will just be too small.

This game is a great idea but it just needs to be expanded upon, I felt it was a bit too short and the scenarios not engaging enough to be a great game.

Final notes - of these two games I'd go for the first one for pure mech blow up joy but be prepared to learn how to avoid getting killed easily. Patience is key in Walking War Robots.

Typhoon
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Typhoon » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:51 am

Discovered a new item for you folks who play the board game; it's called "Mech Hitting Chart".

"Mech Hitting Chart" is an app for rolling hit locations. It has three charts, front/rear, left, and right sides. One chooses the chart then presses to get the dice roll and corresponding location. I haven't used it in a game yet but I have played around with it for fifteen minutes or so and it is simple to use, dead simple in fact.

There are two versions; a free version which works well but one has to see an advertisement at the bottom, and a pay version, "Mech Hitting Chart IIC" for a few dollars. I got the free version and will try it out the next time I play a game. If it seems useful I might go for the IIC version.

Dread
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Dread » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:42 pm

Nice. Now I just need to be able to load my damage sheets and other charts in the same way.
"Ejection seats are for wimps! Real men ride 'em to the ground!" -- conversation overheard between a VTOL pilot and an aerojock.