multi-phase medium laser

Enjoy conversations with Battletech fans. Exchange ideas, ask questions, post new content.

Moderators: AVA MANGO TWO, Ravion Hawk, Steve Ronin

Dart Omega
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

multi-phase medium laser

Post by Dart Omega » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:47 pm

been tinkering with a new class of Laser and I have a rough draft and was hoping to get your guys take on it and what could be changed.

Code: Select all

Weapon        Tonnage   Critical   Dmg   Heat  (C) or (IS)  S:      M:           L:
*multi-phase ML 2.0       2     5/6/7    6/6/6   (IS)      3/2/4    6/5/8      9/7/12

*The multi-phase medium laser offers three weapons in one a standard. Pulse, & ER. All though this comes at the price of weight and mass. The extra tonnage acts as a damage boost for the ER Laser only. 
edit: thanks you Steve for the idea and I thank everyone else for their input as well but still willing to take more opinions and who knows where this will take us :)

after all another weapon might come out of it :)
Last edited by Dart Omega on Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Typhoon
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Re: Tri-Laser

Post by Typhoon » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:24 pm

Dart Omega wrote:been tinkering with a new class of Laser and I have a rough draft and was hoping to get your guys take on it and what could be changed.

Code: Select all

Weapon   Tonnage   Critical   Dmg   Heat  (C) or (IS)  S:           M:           L:
*Tri-Laser 2.5       2     5/6/7    3/6/5   (IS)      3/2/4       6/5/8        9/7/12

*The Tri-laser offers three weapons in one a standard. Pulse, & ER. All though this comes at the price of weight and mass. The extra tonnage acts as a damage boost for the ER Laser only. 
Three Lasers in one! Hmmm, offhand I'd say this may be too confusing in a game. Can you decide which laser to use or do you have to use all three at once? Since the ranges are different then sorting out which can hit and which can't is going to be nightmarish at times. Rolling for hits may be problematic.

Can you clarify your idea for this a bit more.

Dart Omega
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Dart Omega » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:26 am

it is a single weapon that can be used as one of the three depending on the range and the situation.

if you need accuracy you can use the Pulse, if you need the range use the Extend range option, though if you don't need either and don't want to risk the extra heat go for the standard.

thatjimboguy
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by thatjimboguy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:19 pm

I'm torn here. On one hand, this feels like cheating. You're getting three weapons for the price of one and it feels unbalanced. On the other hand, if BT were the real world, being unbalanced and having an unfair advantage would be the goal. So I'm not sure where I am with this.
"Win if you can. Lose if you must, but always cheat" - Jesse "The Body" Ventura

Steve Ronin
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Steve Ronin » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:45 pm

How about 2 tons, 2 crits and 6 heat no matter what function setting you use.
Just call it the multi-phase medium laser.
would make for an interesting house rule, for sure. :D

REPLY to RONIN'S RAMBLINGS HERE

Dart Omega
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Dart Omega » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:34 pm

Hey I like that a lot :)