Zellbringen defined

Enjoy conversations with Battletech fans. Exchange ideas, ask questions, post new content.

Moderators: AVA MANGO TWO, Ravion Hawk, Steve Ronin

Lawgiver
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Zellbringen defined

Post by Lawgiver » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:49 am

To my knowledge there isn't a clearly defined list of the Clan rules of engagement (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I'm working on compiling a list, let me know if you agree/disagree or have any other suggestions:

-A Warrior should never fire on a 'Mech already engaged with another opponent. Concentrating firepower from multiple opponents provides and unfair advantage to the aggressor. If a Star of ‘Mechs comes upon a single opponent only one point of the star will engage in combat while the other 4 watch. Should the attacker choose to fire upon one of the "observing" 'Mechs it may join the fray as well.

-A Warrior will at no time initiate physical attacks of any manner, unless he or she has no weapons left at his or her disposal. Physical attacks include, but are not limited to "death from above", charging, punching, kicking, clubbing or pushing.

-MechWarriors may not fire on a retreating 'Mech or one that has been granted hegira.

-Firing on a fallen 'Mech is prohibited. Opponents must be allowed to regain their footing prior to reengaging in fire. If an opponent fires from a prone position it may be fired upon.

-Firing on a ‘Mech that is shutdown prior to the initiation of combat or when in a non-aggressive manner. ‘Mechs that have shutdown due to excessive heat during combat may or may not be fired upon at the pilot’s discretion.

-Firing at the rear of a 'Mech prior to a formal declaration and initiation of combat. If the opponent exposes his or her back during combat the opportunity may be seized upon.[/list]

-Specifically targeting the head of a 'Mech is strictly prohibited.

-The use of indirect fire other than artillery weapons targeting a fixed installation/target is prohibited.

-Continuing to fire on a "destroyed" or disabled 'Mech with the intention of eliminating it's pilot is strictly prohibited and may be punishable by death.

-Targeting a MechWarrior that has ejected from his 'Mech is strictly prohibited and may be punishable by death.

Failure to adhere to zellbringen during combat will cause loss of honor for a Warrior, as well as serious repercussions from his or her commanding officer. Most breeches of honor will usually result in at least loss of rank.

In the event that an enemy fails to follow the defined rules of engagement, a warrior has the option to also disregard the standards of honorable combat. However, many Clan members will not lower themselves to the level of dishonor of their opponent and will continue to engage in honorable combat as long as physically possible. In the event that an enemy force as a whole is acting dishonorably, the commanding officer may call for a Grand Melee. Once declared the battlefield becomes a free for all and a warrior may then use any means at his or her disposal to defeat the enemy.
Last edited by Lawgiver on Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Konan
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Konan » Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:13 pm

There is a VERY defined list for Zell. There's like 3 levels of it or some such. It's in the Invading Clans source book I do believe, though I don't own that one. You might also be able to find it mostly written out in the Warden and Crusder Clans source books.
Konan

Lawgiver
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Lawgiver » Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:11 pm

Konan wrote:There is a VERY defined list for Zell. There's like 3 levels of it or some such. It's in the Invading Clans source book I do believe, though I don't own that one. You might also be able to find it mostly written out in the Warden and Crusder Clans source books.
I couldn't find a very well defined list in the Invading Clans book. The best list I've found is a shoddy collection in the Mechwarrior Companion book. I don't have the Warden/Crusder Clans sourcebooks to be able to check there.

Firehawk

Post by Firehawk » Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:52 pm

I just checked in the Warden Clans Field Manual and the only thing that was listed for zellbringen was a short description of what zellbringen was. Beyond this I couldn't find anything else on zellbringen.

Moonlapse Vertigo
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Moonlapse Vertigo » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:06 pm

The detalied descrption of zellbringen is in "The Clans: Warriors of Kerensky" sourcebook, including honor levels.

FireFox
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by FireFox » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:55 pm

Moonlapse Vertigo wrote:The detalied descrption of zellbringen is in "The Clans: Warriors of Kerensky" sourcebook, including honor levels.
in using those rules it is usally advisable to apply some modifications.
the key one I apply is for the use of artillary, and all attacks by proxy (C3, spotted LRM, TAG). the side has a ranking of 10, any attack using on of those methods is considered to be a -1. when it is zero then the rules no longer apply for the whole force (the standard rules still apply for the individual mechs though)

S
"Who spat in your test tube 'true'?"

SR^BULL
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by SR^BULL » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:23 am

Most of those rules listed are part of the Zellbrigen. They are followed by all the clans but for trials. The combat rules of engagement gives the warriors some leeway in the rules.

-Only one warrior may fight another warrior at a time unless fired upon. But once in combat, if two enemy warriors fire on the same mech then the rules of honorable combat are basically tossed out the window.

As for a Grand Melee, you again mixed the trial combat protocols with the combat protocols. Grand Melees have only been done in trials in which one on one combat has been shattered by the actions of a warrior shotting another warrior already engaged with someone else. At which point the Loremaster or who ever is preciding over the trials sounds a horn which all the warriors understand it to be the notification that a melee has been started.

Those are the only things I saw that should be added or corrected. Aside from that, very nice work.
Clan Snow Raven
Alpha Galaxy
Star Captain
52nd Raven Grenadiers

"Death From Above What A Beautiful Thing"
Qoute- OM^John^Howe

Lawgiver
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Lawgiver » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:01 am

I scoured the net for good ideas and compiled a more defined list. We voted on them as a group and this was the final outcome:
http://www.tabletopwarfare.com/LocalGro ... brigen.htm

ImperiumKnight
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by ImperiumKnight » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:36 pm

Looks like a pretty good group of rules to me. Of course what I'd like to see someday, even if only on BattleCorps, is a more detailed resource on Zellbrigen as it applies to each individual Clan. In the books we've seen that while every Clan follows Zellbrigen's basic concepts some are more particular or loser than others. I know the Clan Field Manuals describe this some but I wouldn't mind seeing set rules for each individual Clan someday.

Or better yet how about how Zellbrigen is viewed in the Dark Age era. I know thing had to have changed since the crazy Falcon chick is running around with nukes.

Lawgiver
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Lawgiver » Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:02 pm

ImperiumKnight wrote:Looks like a pretty good group of rules to me. Of course what I'd like to see someday, even if only on BattleCorps, is a more detailed resource on Zellbrigen as it applies to each individual Clan. In the books we've seen that while every Clan follows Zellbrigen's basic concepts some are more particular or loser than others. I know the Clan Field Manuals describe this some but I wouldn't mind seeing set rules for each individual Clan someday.

Or better yet how about how Zellbrigen is viewed in the Dark Age era. I know thing had to have changed since the crazy Falcon chick is running around with nukes.
Both would be nice touches. Excellent suggestions for additions to a revised "Clans of Kerensky" book. :D

WilliamTuckness
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

? about Re: Zellbringen defined

Post by WilliamTuckness » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:36 pm

I got a question about a TW rule for zellbrigen. This rule mentions "the weapon fired". So this implies that only a specific weapon may be used and all other weapons may not be used. Perhaps the author meant "the weapon(s) fired". Can somebody clarify this?

Steve Ronin
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Re: Zellbringen defined

Post by Steve Ronin » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:19 pm

holeee crapola.

resurrecting a 9 Year Old thread?

I appreciate you researching the issue and all, but please...
just start a new thread. :lol:

REPLY to RONIN'S RAMBLINGS HERE