WizKids Gone

Discuss the latest and hottest Battletech & Mecha news releases!

Moderators: Ravion Hawk, Typhoon, shalom itay

Phelan
BTU Rank
BTU Rank
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2003 11:27 am
Location: Rome, New York

WizKids Gone

Post by Phelan » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:28 pm

Hello All,

Thought I woudl share this news. I found it at the below website (http://www.wizkidsgames.com/wk_article.asp?cid=41914). This was posted Nov. 10th, 2008.

The announcement states:

The Topps Company announced today that WizKids will immediately cease operations and discontinue its product lines.

Scott Silverstein, CEO of Topps, said “This was an extremely difficult decision. While the company will still actively pursue gaming initiatives, we feel it is necessary to align our efforts more closely with Topps current sports and entertainment offerings which are being developed within our New York office.”

Upon notifying our partners, Topps will immediately pursue strategic alternatives so that viable brands and properties, including HeroClix, can continue without noticeable disruption. To that end, WizKids will continue supporting Buy it By the Brick redemptions for Arkham Asylum, and the December Organized Play events for HeroClix.

For consumer announcements, please refer to www.wizkidsgames.com over the coming days for further information.

Later,
Phelan

Paint it Pink
Posts: 980
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 4:21 am
Location: London, England
Contact:

Post by Paint it Pink » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:43 pm

I would hazard an opinion that this is not a good thing to have happened.

How it affects CGL will need to be seen. Hopefully, not at all. Fingers crossed.

It may well also be a sign that the economic recession is starting to bite. Thank god I've got a job.
The Unseen once seen cannot be unseen

Image

http://panther6actual.blogspot.com/

Lawgiver
BTU Rank
BTU Rank
Posts: 6872
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 4:04 am
Location: Murray, KY
Contact:

Post by Lawgiver » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:31 pm

Image

Heimdall
Posts: 407
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:09 pm
Location: Calgary AB, Canada

Post by Heimdall » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:50 pm

This doesn't affect CBT or SR under CGL. They're good to go and plan to do so especially with the anniversaries coming up in 2009.

Phelan
BTU Rank
BTU Rank
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2003 11:27 am
Location: Rome, New York

Post by Phelan » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:25 pm

Heimdall wrote:This doesn't affect CBT or SR under CGL. They're good to go and plan to do so especially with the anniversaries coming up in 2009.
Agreed. Here is what Classic battletech said about WizKids.

Quote,

The Topps Company announced today that WizKids will immediately cease operations.



Catalyst Game Labs has already been informed this should in no way affect Catalyst' publication of the Classic BattleTech and Shadowrun game lines. "We're still completely dedicated to the Classic BattleTech and Shadowrun game lines," said Loren Coleman, co-owner of Catalyst Game Labs. "We've got a great line of products coming out heading into 2009 and so see no reason why the 25th [BattleTech] and 20th [Shadowrun] anniversary years for these brands won' be fantastic for our great fan base."



As more information becomes avilable additional announcements will follow.

Unquote

Which it great news. Classic Battletech still lives!!!!!

Later,
Phelan

thatjimboguy
BTU Rank
BTU Rank
Posts: 2078
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:01 am
Location: Detroit, MI
Contact:

Post by thatjimboguy » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:30 pm

Will this affect the novels at all? Just wondering because I'm a huge fan of both the CBT and MDWA lines of novels.
"Win if you can. Lose if you must, but always cheat" - Jesse "The Body" Ventura

Centurion13
BTU Rank
BTU Rank
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:37 pm

Post by Centurion13 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:50 pm

The problem isn't that Wizkids will take CGL with it.

The problem is that CGL is going to have to survive the same financial shockwave that was at the root of WK's demise. You folks think things are bad? The stock market shedding five thousand points and major banks and businesses going bankrupt?

That's the flash, folks. The BOOM! hasn't reached us yet. When it does, like a tidal wave, it will swallow a lot of things. Let us hope CGL has not overextended itself financially, or they could be pushing up daisies by March of '09.

And did I mention that the license for CBT may also be up for grabs? If the financial woes do indeed force CGL under, at the very best it will revert to its original owner.

We'll see.

Cent13
Last edited by Centurion13 on Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image

Typhoon
BTU Rank
BTU Rank
Posts: 6446
Joined: Fri May 30, 2003 2:03 am
Location: Kitakami, Iwate, Japan
Contact:

Post by Typhoon » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:38 am

Centurion13 wrote:The problem isn't that Wizkids will take CGL with it.

The problem is that CGL is going to have to survive the same financial shockwave that was at the root of WK's demise. You folks think things are bad? The stock market shedding five thousand points and major banks and businesses going bankrupt?

That's the flash, folks. The BOOM! hasn't reached us yet. When it does, like a tidal wave, it will swallow a lot of things. Let us hope CGL has not overextended itself financially, or they could be pushing up daisies by March of '09.

And did I mention that the license for CBT may also be up for grabs? We'll see.

Cent13
WK has been scaling back its operations for ages, Cent. It stopped producing MK a while ago, before any of the financial concerns hit us. MW was not selling as well as it had either. As I recall, WK only had a couple of products doing well. So, I think that Topps had WK slated for the axe for a few years.

I also think that the writing was on the wall when TPTB at WK started leaving. Topps may have been considering a consolidation of WK into Topps for a while now. I wouldn't be using WK's disappearance to judge CGL because there are, from what I remember, other factors going on.

Certainly, the current financial issues are of great concern but we should be careful not to sound a panic about CGL or Topps.


Hmmm, where did you hear the BT license is up for grabs? I thought CGL had that wrapped up for the foreseeable future.

Centurion13
BTU Rank
BTU Rank
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:37 pm

Post by Centurion13 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:34 am

Typhoon wrote:WK has been scaling back its operations for ages, Cent. It stopped producing MK a while ago, before any of the financial concerns hit us. MW was not selling as well as it had either. As I recall, WK only had a couple of products doing well. So, I think that Topps had WK slated for the axe for a few years.
That is true of gaming companies across the board. My point is that many are in a weakened condition, and that we have not even begun to hear the worst of this.
Typhoon wrote:I also think that the writing was on the wall when TPTB at WK started leaving. Topps may have been considering a consolidation of WK into Topps for a while now. I wouldn't be using WK's disappearance to judge CGL because there are, from what I remember, other factors going on.
IIRC, various sources indicate that TPTB at WizKids tend to do that every few years, especially when their main property begins winding down. Mage Knight was insanely popular for years, hence the launch of MW:DA in its footsteps. Consolidation is one thing; cutting your losses in the face of financial ruin is another. Topps may find another outlet for Star Wars, but it's going to be a while, and that is a fairly new franchise. The rest?
Typhoon wrote:Certainly, the current financial issues are of great concern but we should be careful not to sound a panic about CGL or Topps.
I am just extrapolating from what I have seen so far, especially the stunned look on faces who used to work for powerhouse companies. This financial panic has deep roots, and the cure is going to be painful. A lot of places are going to be pulling their horns in before this turns the corner.
Typhoon wrote:Hmmm, where did you hear the BT license is up for grabs? I thought CGL had that wrapped up for the foreseeable future.
I modified my quote.

Cent13
Image

Typhoon
BTU Rank
BTU Rank
Posts: 6446
Joined: Fri May 30, 2003 2:03 am
Location: Kitakami, Iwate, Japan
Contact:

Post by Typhoon » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:29 pm

Sorry, Cent, but you sound like the harbinger of doom.

Times are tough indeed and are always tough for gaming companies, however, I think caution needs to be the word before any rumours of demise start getting spread. Which is why I am continuing to discuss this. I have a feeling that CGL and other companies will weather this storm because they have been smart.

Yes, they may have to scale back operations for a while, a long while?, but if they haven't been spendthrifts they will get through more or less intact. That said, we have to be careful about who we are declaring a "dead company" at this point. Also, the roots of WK closing may, and appear to be from what I can gather, be entirely unrelated to the current crisis. Topps timing may have been crappy for those of us who follow BT but they may have thought it smart to announce it now to give their investors some assurance that they were actively involved in the company's well being.

I do not think Topps would face "financial ruin" by keeping the WK name as an entity. WK would be a separate business entity, especially if it had "LLC" or "LTD" or the like after it. Again, this may be merely a consolidation of the WK properties and slated for revival at a later date under a new company name.

I would advise caution at making any judgements right now.

Charlie Tango
Posts: 317
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:58 am
Location: Bedford, TX
Contact:

Post by Charlie Tango » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:26 am

It affects Catalyst not a bit, except they now write the licensing-fee checks directly to Topps (who owns the Intellectual Property of Battletech, or IP) instead of to Wizkids.

Basically, Topps is not going to "close down" CBT because there is no reason for them to. They likely put no financial resources in, they just cash the checks coming in from CGL. For Topps, it's basically free money.

Everything will go ahead as planned.

Now if you start hearing things about authors, artists, etc. not getting paid by CGL, then worry.
Image

"No one conquers who doesn't fight." -- Wisdom found inside a fortune cookie

Typhoon
BTU Rank
BTU Rank
Posts: 6446
Joined: Fri May 30, 2003 2:03 am
Location: Kitakami, Iwate, Japan
Contact:

Post by Typhoon » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:44 am

Charlie Tango wrote:It affects Catalyst not a bit, except they now write the licensing-fee checks directly to Topps (who owns the Intellectual Property of Battletech, or IP) instead of to Wizkids.

Basically, Topps is not going to "close down" CBT because there is no reason for them to. They likely put no financial resources in, they just cash the checks coming in from CGL. For Topps, it's basically free money.

Everything will go ahead as planned.

Now if you start hearing things about authors, artists, etc. not getting paid by CGL, then worry.
I don't think Cent and others are concerned about Topps but are more concerned about CGL and their financial stability in light of current concerns.

Given what has been written on CGL's home page and at CBT.com I think we can be assured that our hobby will continue for the foreseeable future.

Lawgiver
BTU Rank
BTU Rank
Posts: 6872
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 4:04 am
Location: Murray, KY
Contact:

Post by Lawgiver » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:14 am

Long term I think this will be better for the industry. WK will likely sell of it's game lines to smaller companies with greater passion for the game than just the bottom line income. New companies will emerge and competition will increase. More bang for the buck
Image