Paint it Pink's Terrain & buildings

Show off your creative building skills, read how-to's and provide/receive construction help.

Moderators: AVA MANGO TWO, Ravion Hawk

Paint it Pink

Post by Paint it Pink » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:42 pm

Well I certainly hope to use these boards next year. As for the London Battletech Group, only Dan still remains in contact with me, so we shall see what happens. I'm thinking of changing sessions to a Friday or Saturday Night, or Saturday afternoon maybe, and hold them at my place. So strictly by invite into my home.
The Unseen once seen cannot be unseen

http://panther6actual.blogspot.com/

AVA MANGO TWO
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by AVA MANGO TWO » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:24 pm

Well you have seen the size of my appartment, since ive been living there its always been the rule 2-4 around for Battletech and 5-8 for fun and drinkies... :D

Steve Ronin
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Steve Ronin » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:36 pm

The terrain looks great, Ash.

Suggestion when adding gravel: use several different sizes to create a more natural look.
Found that it works well with N scale Railroading: should work well with your terrain.

REPLY to RONIN'S RAMBLINGS HERE

wikkid_devil
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by wikkid_devil » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:19 pm

AVA MANGO TWO wrote:Well you have seen the size of my appartment, since ive been living there its always been the rule 2-4 around for Battletech and 5-8 for fun and drinkies... :D
I have/we have a little more space if you don't mind driving 45 minutes north.....

AVA MANGO TWO
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by AVA MANGO TWO » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:27 pm

wikkid_devil wrote:
AVA MANGO TWO wrote:Well you have seen the size of my appartment, since ive been living there its always been the rule 2-4 around for Battletech and 5-8 for fun and drinkies... :D
I have/we have a little more space if you don't mind driving 45 minutes north.....
I wont be able to make the journey but others from the site might be able to maybe some of you could get together, i know Mylordkrome lives in Norfolk and Davion Boy is in Stratford, both Paint in Pink and myself are in London and i know a few more that live within a 35-45 minutes drive into central London i just cant remember them right now sorry guy's. :oops:

Paint it Pink

Post by Paint it Pink » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:04 pm

Well today was the day to reap the first rewards of all the hard work I've done on these terrain boards. My chance to play around and pose some of my mechs in a mock battle between the Pink Panthers and my Marik Marauders.

Paint it Pink favourites advance towards the Marauders who are in for a kicking, given outmatched they are. Must get around to painting some more Marik mechs.

Here is most of the mechs of one of the Company lances, yes I field lances of five.

The Atlas has the high ground, because it is hard enough basically.

More to come, but I'm going to have to subscribe to the server as I'm at my limit. I will sort that out in due course. Edit: So I've been editing my pictures in this thread, just in case anyone thinks they can remember pictures that are no longer here?
Last edited by Paint it Pink on Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shalom itay
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by shalom itay » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:26 pm

It is simply amazing, Ash! Great work :D

AVA MANGO TWO
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by AVA MANGO TWO » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:29 pm

:shock: WOW loads more photos please Ash... I also like the Atlas were it is, nothing quite beats
a nice skyline silhouette to shoot at. :wink:

Paint it Pink

Post by Paint it Pink » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:21 pm

While going through my Battletech media server gallery, deleting unused files, then going back and deleting pictures that were in effect duplicates etc, I came across one that I had uploaded and not shown, and which chronologically fits before the previous set, because it shows the original riverine boards I started, oh so long ago.

Enjoy, more to come in due course over the Xmas festivity period.

Paint it Pink

Post by Paint it Pink » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:39 am

Oh well, no comments from the last post, but that is not going to stop me from posting the rest of the pictures from the mock battle I photographed. No sirree. I've been through my gallery and deleted all the excess pictures that I had uploaded and not posted to any thread. I also deleted duplicates and edited threads accordingly.

So here we are with the Pink Panthers looking toward the Marik Marauders as they foolishly advance into the valley of death.

The centre thrust is headed by a pair of marauders looking to cause trouble, and lower property values.

Meanwhile the Huey, Duey & Luey advance up the right flank hoping to sew confusion, get in a few back shots and generally party.

And on the right flank a laser boat variant Locust advances with a LRM Locust variant in the rear acting as fire support.

The whole attack is pretty forlorn as the Pink Panthers have a full company on board, and would obviously counter-attack and thrust through the Marik line in due course.

Squigglysquid
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Squigglysquid » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:23 pm

Wow, what a scene. The boards look really nice... really nice. =) Sure it was fun to pose the minis for a photos shoot, and I gotta say it all goes together very well. Good work. Poor Marauders... :wink:

Paint it Pink

Post by Paint it Pink » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:10 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Hopefully this year will be year of Battletech battles for me. I'm planning games now, and hope to take in game photos of the action etc.

Dark Sun Drakon
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Nice Job!

Post by Dark Sun Drakon » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:02 pm

Very nice! Mine will look like the traditional hexagonal styrofoam Battle Tech land scape.
Nice very nice!
Greetings to those that favor the Draonise Combine House.
In do time I will be putting pictures of my Battle tech unit
and my miniature styro foam hexagonal Battle tech dioramas
on to this website soon. Later !

Paint it Pink

Post by Paint it Pink » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:02 pm

Well, today I have been working on some town terrain boards, which I originally made as mostly plain concrete so that I could just place building down on them like so:

However, I find the fact that the buildings sit on the board detracting from the whole look and feel I wanted. Anyway today I spent some time reworking the boards and putting some nominal 15mm scale building on them, like this:

Here is an overall view of the five town boards I made up. As I said the building were laid into pre-existing town terrain boards I had already made. My plan now is to make scenes on each board that will blend from one board to another.

A view from the other side, just to show the backs of the building etc and give another perspective on the size.

Finally, a picture with mechs for size comparison. I'm wondering whether or not the building are too large? I know that modern building have up to 20 feet between floors, to account for the aircon ducts and what nots, but these are models are 25mm between floors. So about 20% too tall.

So what do you all think?

Either way, they will serve for MWDA battles and any 15mm games I want to play. So I'm not losing out here.

Snake Eyes
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Snake Eyes » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:11 pm

Wow.....nice terrain
Steele Industries:

Proud sponsor of the Solaris VII games for 30 years

shalom itay
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by shalom itay » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:00 am

Nice buildings, will they be painted, and how?
About the scale - a residence building is about 3.0 Meters per floor,
so a double-decker = level 1 etc...the ones in the first pic looks fine, the others "out of scale",
but I wouldnt mind.

AVA MANGO TWO
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by AVA MANGO TWO » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:32 am

To be really honest the flight levels and window sizes do look out of scale 6mm to 15mm is a fare jump up the scale ladder, but at the end of the day terrain is simply terrain and although still being a visual aspect of the game it should only take second place to the miniatures that are on the table. If you need some builings 6mm/1300th buildings just let me know i have a few boxes full of the stuff next time you pop over. :)

Paint it Pink

Post by Paint it Pink » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:35 am

Oh man, I have loads of 1/300th building, but these Field Works one's have interiors, which is a big attraction.

However, I may well make up a couple of town boards with 1/300th buildings on them to compare. Also, i intend to buy some 10mm building from Field Works this weekend and I will then be able to do a full comparison.
Last edited by Paint it Pink on Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paint it Pink

Post by Paint it Pink » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:25 pm

Ongoing WIP on painting up the buildings, starting with a test piece:

Walls were painted using Ogryn Flesh wash over the white primer. I then dusted them with Fresh Rust weathering powder. Floors and roof are a combination of Devlan Brown, Gryphonne Sepia and Baddab Black, again dusted with dark brown weathering powder.

Still a ways to go yet, as I'm thinking about how to make the boards look better than my first attempt.

BTW: I'm calling the 15mm town boards Dunmarkeet Town.
Last edited by Paint it Pink on Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paint it Pink

Post by Paint it Pink » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:30 pm

Right, not yet primed, let alone painted, but the excitement was too much to bear after I spent this afternoon fiddling around these four terrain board put together.

An overall view from above with my Bushman gashapons, which for reference the head only comes up to mid chest high on a Battlemaster.

A more eye level view of the Bushman mechs next to these 10mm buildings.

Finally, an overall view of the four town boards. I'm calling this town Newten Town. :roll:

Enjoy. As always comments and brick-bats welcome.

AVA MANGO TWO
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by AVA MANGO TWO » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:56 am

They looks more in scale than the earlier 15mm buildings you posted, are you planning to go the whole hog by adding pavement /sidewalks, loads of rubble all over the place, maybe a few crashed or half burried cars under debris and possibly some bent and twisted lamp posts ? either way i think that you will have a fine looking cityscape when all is done. :)

Paint it Pink

Post by Paint it Pink » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:13 pm

Absolutely the whole hog for these babies as they deserve the best. Updates in due course.

Paint it Pink

Post by Paint it Pink » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:56 pm

Here is a WIP picture of Newten town terrain boards. Still a long way to go before these are finished, but it shows how I'm tackling the roads and pavements etc.

The red brown marks the areas where there will be vegetation of some sort. The white around the building will become the pavements, while the grey represents the roads.

preacher
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by preacher » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:31 am

I like this new town board well done.
I am Honor.
I am Courage.
I am Wolverine.

xupgrayddx
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by xupgrayddx » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:41 pm

That is some top notch terrain. I cant wait to see it finished.