Scratchbuilding Union Dropships

Show off your creative building skills, read how-to's and provide/receive construction help.

Moderators: AVA MANGO TWO, Ravion Hawk

jase9112
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Scratchbuilding Union Dropships

Post by jase9112 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:00 am

Hey there all. I've been looking around for tips on building dropships but I haven't found much online or in older posts.

What I'm looking for is tips or guides on building Union sized dropships that are scaled to the mechs, *not* mapscale. Probably about 18-20cm tall. Preferably hollow, but most importantly buildable.

Is there anything out there that could be useful?

or

Does anyone have any good tips on where I can get a sphere that's about 20mm large and fairly lightweight upon which I could build my dropship?

Thanks for your time.
Jase

AVA MANGO TWO
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by AVA MANGO TWO » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:12 am

Good topic well ive built a couple of mech scale Union dropships in the past but the people you really need to look out for and maybe do a search on their work is JE from Vegas he builds dropships all the time mainly from hampster exercise balls which you can get in 12 and 14 inches and even Star Wars Deathstar model kits to massive 2 feet easter eggs but they are more for the Overlord class Dropships though.
Check out Kurt Schrivner tutorial who is from a different Battletech site but is well known for his scratch built Union Dropship below in the link. :D zac
http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums ... 531.0.html

Choppa 6
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Choppa 6 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:30 pm

That is impressive!!

jase9112
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by jase9112 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:42 pm

That link is dang skippy!

Thanks a bunch!

AVA MANGO TWO
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by AVA MANGO TWO » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:39 am

jase9112 wrote:That link is dang skippy!

Thanks a bunch!
If you really want to see more mech scale Dropships, use the search facility and type in Dropships or custom dropship. You may have to play about with what you enter for the search title wise, but you should get several hits. :) zac

thebattletechguru
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

yo

Post by thebattletechguru » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:27 am

I use 10 inch Foam Death Stars. They already come with the armor plate impressions. Just add some turrets and landing gear and a coat of paint and decals and Bingo..
War is not about who's Right... It's about who's LEFT!!!

AVA MANGO TWO
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by AVA MANGO TWO » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:29 am

Ive used the easter egg plastic shell container approach in the past which worked out really well, but i think my choice of paint scheme lets it down some what and i think i could have done a far better job these days, but the actual build was so damn big and daunting back then...
Now ive just come across a old toy space ship that has about the right dimentions for a mech scale rules play, its a tad smaller than the old foam core Leopard class droship from IWM but twice as sexy nothing against Schriv's sculpting or modeling skills intended here in any way.
I will of course bring you more information on my latest dropship as soon as it arrives in the post (engine conked out, dont you know... :lol:) but in the mean time all i will say is long live Bandi. :D zac

DestroyerDan
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Re: yo

Post by DestroyerDan » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:21 pm

thebattletechguru wrote:I use 10 inch Foam Death Stars. They already come with the armor plate impressions. Just add some turrets and landing gear and a coat of paint and decals and Bingo..
What do you use for the landing gear?
Hi, my name is Dan, and I'm a Warhammer mech Collectaholic...

Centurion13
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Centurion13 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:16 pm

Hey, I built the Union Dropship for GenCon 2007, lighting and all.

Landing gear were resin cast, molded from a 1/32 scale S-3 Viking engine combined with some WH40K parts.

Body was a Death Star model, with the beam panel replaced by another regular panel from an extra model.

Launch bay was built into the upper half, along with the power converters for all the lighting circuits. The exhaust lighting, engines and speaker modules into the lower section. Power supply and amplifier were installed in a cigar box which was suitably painted and connected via cable to the base of the model, which had exhaust to conceal the wiring.

A good pic of this effort is on the back of the Strategic Ops book.

Cent13

thebattletechguru
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Re: yo

Post by thebattletechguru » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:04 am

DestroyerDan wrote:
thebattletechguru wrote:I use 10 inch Foam Death Stars. They already come with the armor plate impressions. Just add some turrets and landing gear and a coat of paint and decals and Bingo..
What do you use for the landing gear?

I use misc. toys from cheap boxed sets i got for K-B's Toys. The starwars snow tropper with the tripod gun set up has good landing gear. And I used the Hoth Scout Drone legs as a topper to make a MULE Dropship.
War is not about who's Right... It's about who's LEFT!!!

AVA MANGO TWO
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by AVA MANGO TWO » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:16 pm

Light bulb holders well actually the outer plastic drum shaped guards you can unscrew make great spheroid landing gears or thrusters and are also approx the right size in scale. :wink: zac

Dark Sun Drakon
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Try card board coffee cans .

Post by Dark Sun Drakon » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:52 pm

You should try looking for Yuban coffee cans because they are card board .They can hold 12 battle mechs only.
Use the thrusters from a NASA space shuttle.I have not made one yet,I think using a card board coffe can would be
perfect.You have to buy a styrofoam globe or sphere .you have to cut in to the middle of the sphere to fit over the coffee can to make your
drop ship.Then you have to cut doors for the battle mechs.I will have to get to work.
Greetings to those that favor the Draonise Combine House.
In do time I will be putting pictures of my Battle tech unit
and my miniature styro foam hexagonal Battle tech dioramas
on to this website soon. Later !

AVA MANGO TWO
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by AVA MANGO TWO » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:17 am

It sounds as though you have a plan there Dark Sun Drakon, if you deside to go ahead and make one of these please keep us in the loop... :D zac

thatjimboguy
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by thatjimboguy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:08 pm

Wow...that's awesome!
"Win if you can. Lose if you must, but always cheat" - Jesse "The Body" Ventura

Dark Sun Drakon
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Re: Scratchbuilding Union Dropships

Post by Dark Sun Drakon » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:50 pm

jase9112 wrote:Hey there all. I've been looking around for tips on building dropships but I haven't found much online or in older posts.

What I'm looking for is tips or guides on building Union sized dropships that are scaled to the mechs, *not* mapscale. Probably about 18-20cm tall. Preferably hollow, but most importantly buildable.

Is there anything out there that could be useful?

or

Does anyone have any good tips on where I can get a sphere that's about 20mm large and fairly lightweight upon which I could build my dropship?

Thanks for your time.
Jase
Here is how you create a union drop ship,buy those styrofoamed spheres from Wall Mart .Buy the the biggest Styrofoamsphere's you see at Wall Mart.

Here is how you do it. Buy the largest styrofoamed sphere's at Wallmart.Carefully cut the sphere down the middle with a very sharp knife.
These styro foamed sphere's are big enough to fit 12 battle mechs and the styrofoamed sphere is scale modeled for miniature mechs.They have styrofoamed
cones sized just right for the drop ship. The styrofoamed sphere are big enough to fit 4 aerospace fighters on the top part of the drop ship.
Greetings to those that favor the Draonise Combine House.
In do time I will be putting pictures of my Battle tech unit
and my miniature styro foam hexagonal Battle tech dioramas
on to this website soon. Later !

Typhoon
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Typhoon » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:59 pm

I took the liberty of adding the rest of the post after I found it in another thread.

Take care, Dark Sun, not to hit submit BEFORE you are finished the entire post.

shalom itay
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by shalom itay » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:46 am

Typhoon wrote:I took the liberty of adding the rest of the post after I found it in another thread.

Take care, Dark Sun, not to hit submit BEFORE you are finished the entire post.
And there is to post edit your post after you've submit it.
I, for most of my posts, use the preview option, in order to see I didnt forget anything.