filler

Show off your creative building skills, read how-to's and provide/receive construction help.

Moderators: AVA MANGO TWO, Ravion Hawk

spyder9
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

filler

Post by spyder9 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:03 pm

What filler would you use for crafting terrain? In some cases I need to fill in more than an inch of material to build out certain shapes. I have tried several different clays and most crack when dry or shrink or need heat to set. Often then become brittle when sanding or cutting into them for details later. I use a base of wood blocks for buildings and in some cases normal household plastic items when the same in interesting.

The current project is a mech scale dropship. I have used foam sphere, deathstars, etc in the past but i found a very close shape in a lightweight wood vase. Issues are going to be around the neck (bottom of the ship) and making the bottom of the vase (top of the ship) rounded again as it is flat. In both of these areas the filler will be more than an inch think. Any suggestions for material? Right now I am thinking bondo filler but have not used it before.

I will post pictures of the entire build process when complete or at least closer than now.

BlackHornet
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Re: filler

Post by BlackHornet » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:29 pm

Might look at auto-body filler or drywall plaster? Maybe do paper mache over something round and then attach it after you have the body?
BlackHawk01-"Everyone knows a cool BattleBuggy needs a bitchin' set of pipes..."