Found an interesting old weapon design

Enjoy conversations with Battletech fans. Exchange ideas, ask questions, post new content.

Moderators: AVA MANGO TWO, Ravion Hawk, Steve Ronin

Dart Omega
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Found an interesting old weapon design

Post by Dart Omega »

I was cleaning up some of my old papers from the very late eighties and found an old weapon I was tinkering with for an old Arena battle mech called the cowboy with a unique weapon only it could use, a revolver.

It was a 25 ton mech armed with a revolver type handheld weapon held in the right hand, a cowboy looking head armor.

The revolver was three tons and six rounds held in the cylinder.

The extra ammo is stored in external ammo cylinders that the mech could reload itself.

It took two turns to reload it, no weapons in the arms or free hand, any weapon not mounted over the shoulder cannot be used during revolver reload phase, and wasn't tied to the TC.

It's max range of 3
Ammunition per ton 6
Weight 3
Damage 10
Heat 0*
+2 to fire due to recoil

* Zero heat due to the fact that the cylinder not being enclosed

It had optional ammunition type called armor piercing that reduces damage but increase the chance to pass through armor and hit the internal components.

Not a lot was really done with it past the concept and basic information.

Then I found a fun old Inferno rule we used a lot. It was simple, any location that has 50% armor the targeted player had to roll a 5 or better, if failed the location takes 2x heat damage applied to the internet structure.

20% armor remaining must roll a 6 3x heat and has a higher chance to set off ammunition.

The idea behind it was that there was holes in the armor at that point and the more damage and less armor ment more places for the gel to enter.

The GM helped hammer the rules for it.

Man it was fun going down memory lane.

I think that the revolver was way too out there even if it was using a modified version of the modular system so I scrapped the idea.

What do you guys think?

Steve Ronin
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Re: Found an interesting old weapon design

Post by Steve Ronin »

I like that inferno rule ... that's logical AND nasty. :thumleft:

the cowboy pistol reminds me of the Mech Dbl barrel shotgun: two LBX-20 shots. range reduced by 30%, but +2 on pellet impacts.

REPLY to RONIN'S RAMBLINGS HERE

Dart Omega
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Dart Omega »

Is the shotgun an actual weapon usable in game or fan made?

If it's an actual in game weapon does that mean mine predates it?

If so that would be awesome!

The inferno rule was actually my older brother's idea and he gave it to us before he left for college, shame he gave up on battletech.

Steve Ronin
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Steve Ronin »

the shotgun was a house rule we came up with between 92-95.
we wanted an anti-personnel weapon that was Old School, but also used some Star League tech.

Dart Omega
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Dart Omega »

Shotgun of yours sounds neat, I hope you was able to passed it on to the next generation of players.

Why is it home rules sometimes tend to be better than official rules?

The inferno gel rule I am going to be honest I am surprised it never showed up in some form of official rules.

Now if it does suddenly show up later on we know it's because they found it on BTU.

Steve Ronin
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Steve Ronin »

whelp, I went a-diggin' and found more specs.

Mech Dbl Barrel Shotgun.
1 ton, 2 crit slots.
stock of FF armor
barrels and action of ES.
Can be picked up or dropped; weight affects Mech based on standard cartage rules.
Can fire single or both barrels per firing turn.
Mech must have 2 hands
Each shell weighs .25 ton (4 shots per ton)
shells are ONLY shot, not slug rounds.
Ranges: 1-3, 4-6, 7-9.
Heat = none.
Does get LBX bonus of -1 to targeting modifier.
Ammo Bandolier: external to Mech. takes damage like a Clanner carrying BA.
Hitting a shell destroys the shell, causes 2 pts of damage to location, and blows bandolier off of the carrying Mech.
Bandolier carries 8 shells (2 tons)
IF the Mech is carrying the shotgun's ammo bandolier, then reloads can happen during movement phase: Mech may only walk. No Jump, No run.
Pickup/Discard of bandolier happens during Movement: -1 to Mech movement, No Jumping.
IF Mech is NOT carrying bandolier, DECLARED reloads must take place in same hex as ammunition box or bandolier and Mech may only walk, also -1 to movement.

Basically: it was a great weapon to keep in/near the Mech hanger. Best for close in, defensive work.
Excellent for clearing TOAD infestations.