What is the best battletech video game?

Discuss general gaming issues NOT specifically related to MechWarrior, MechCommander, MechAssault or BT PnP games

Moderator: Ravion Hawk

Xero

What is the best battletech video game?

Post by Xero »

What is the best battletech video game? :D

Vapor
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Vapor »

The only BattleTech-based games that I have played extensively are MechWarrior 4, and MechCommander 2. I enjoyed both of them, though neither one really encompasses all that BattleTech is.
"Target the Reavers. Target the Reavers! Target everyone! Somebody fire!"

Injakra

Re: What is the best battletech video game?

Post by Injakra »

Xero wrote:What is the best battletech video game? :D
Just about all of them are pretty good, but anything earlier than Mechwarrior 3 (and from what I've experienced that may be questionable) will NOT, I say again WILL NOT work under Windows XP based systems.

Landshark Ward

Post by Landshark Ward »

Hmm, that is a hard call. I have played MechWarrior 2, 3, 4, and Mercs, all of the MechCommander games, a wonderful online BTech strategy/empire building game called Neveron (linkage http://www.neveron.com) and of course Tesla Pods at D&B.
I guess the answer to Xero's question is what do you like?
The strategy of Neveron, MechCommander and MechCommander 2?
Or the fast paced action of the MechWarrior games and the pods?
Personally, the pods own the rest tho... :twisted:

Karmack

Post by Karmack »

Of MW2, 3 and 4 (and variants) I prefer MW4 - Mercs the best. The code seems to run smoother for some reason, and the weapons tweeks have improved the balance. Best of all, though, is the multi-player code. Its not perfect, but its sooooo much better than MW3 was.

For straight single-play though I have to say its a hard call between MW3 and MW4. Both have their strong points. In the end, I still prefer MW4 but only because it does a few things better that I prefer. Others who focus on different gaming aspects prefer MW3.

Mech Commander is also fun, but I prefer to have my own mech under my command. Mech Commander seems to be an attempt at Btech in electronic form, but the weapons ranges, etc, were to far off. If they could do it with straight Btech values, I'd like it a lot better. No real chance of that, though.

One thing is for sure, though. Telsa Pods at D&B ROCK! I've only played in them once, but it was the most intense MW experience I've had. to bad you cannot replicate that on a PC...
"My religion teaches me that I am as safe in battle as in bed. That is the way all men should live, then all men would be equally brave." - Gen. Stonewall Jackson

Speck
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Speck »

I do think MW4 is the best so far, even though i only have played it 2 or 3 times since i never really did like the computer games. Alwayed pefered the board game over them. The mechwarrior game that i was last heavly into was MW2 and all of the extra addons. Also liked Mechcommander which is one of the few battletech computer games that i finished completely before getting bored or hated the mission. Still have yet to play Black knight, MW4 mercs, or MC2. I also breifly played MW3 before i build my new machine and wiped the drive.
Site Administrator of Battletech Universe and Iron Wind Metals

"If you want Peace then you must prepare for War."

chriscaffee

MW3

Post by chriscaffee »

I believe that MechWarrior 3 eclipses all the competition. It has the best roster of 'Mechs and an excellent presentation, in addition to just being a fun game. I also prefer the physics to MW4, where, when you destroy a leg, somehow it is still there and able to operate. And, hands down, MW3 has the best pulse lasers, ever.

Mr.Humble
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Mr.Humble »

MegaMek....best electronic battletech i've ever played....MW4:Mercs is what i currently play but i find it very dumbed down to what battletech is supposed to be...not to mention the extra dumbing down of clan mechs in the game *wants to cry at his near useless Timberwolf*...but for just fun i like MW4:Mercs....Megamek is more my sunday call up a buddy and let's play for 6 hours kinda game...

my thoughts anyways..

Mr.Humble

"Honor Above All"

Smoke_Jaguar
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Smoke_Jaguar »

1st: Mechwarrior 1, great graphics for its time, good storyline building, runs on any computer, and has a good layout and interface.

2nd: Mechwarrior 2, MW2 Mercs, and MW2 GBL, plenty of fun missions, great customization ability such as adding models, weapons and so forth, ever seen a LPLAS Machine gun? Also, my introduction to anything Battletech and playing online.

3rd: Mechwarrior 3, Good graphics with low system requirements, plenty of missions, good storyline, though I wish I could've been a Soke Jaguar.
I'm back baby!
MWO: Backup

Solmane

Post by Solmane »

I gotta say the best battletech game is the original mechcommander and mech warrior. Old school rules, nowadays the mechwarrior games are way to complicated. :!:

Smoke_Jaguar
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Smoke_Jaguar »

The smoothness of gameplay is nice. Mechwarrior 1 is kinda annoying as far as graphics-wise. I love MW2 because it is easy to play, and runs on almost any computer.
I'm back baby!

Child of Wonder
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Child of Wonder »

I'll never forget how much fun I had playing MW2: Mercs when it came out. But I think MechCommander 1 and 2 are my favorites.

I just love taking a large force of Mechs and controlling them from afar. I'm just big on tactics.

pthw199
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by pthw199 »

I'd have to give my vote to MechCommander 2 myslef. The first MechCommander game was more of a puzzle game, than strategy (in 1P mode anyhoo), and I gre bored of it after a while!

Peter Wraight

Daon Rendiv

Post by Daon Rendiv »

I'd say MW 2 or 3

DrMeatballs

Post by DrMeatballs »

Best Btech computer game?
The answer has to be MPBT3025, good classic mechs, proper strategy, decent lance on lance battles, lets face it the mechwarrior games have only really survived via multiplayer and out of all of them MPBT had the best (although not without it's issues ie the very imbalanced factions which is understand able as who on earth wants to plays as the cappies of the mariks in 3025? when they are everyone's whipping boys and then there were the improvements in the mech rankings which made decent mechs (ie anything other than a commando or urbie) very difficult to get).

SimianVector

Post by SimianVector »

Uhhh. . MegaMek ;)

Smoke_Jaguar
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Smoke_Jaguar »

I am now getting hooked on Megamek. I think it will be one of my favorites. :)
I'm back baby!

Flaco
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Flaco »

I Looooove the Mechcommander games, I like the fact that there is strategy (well, on the harder modes anyway) and the fact that you do have c biils and you need to repair...

Lol, Utility vehicals deployed...repair completed....Forum ressurected
Life is like playing a card game. Its not whether you get the best hand, its whether or not you play the worst hand well.

Choppa 6
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Choppa 6 »

Even though it was goofy at times, I liked the Mech Assault line of games! Nothing but shooting. Dumb storyline, but fun just the same!

Flaco
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Flaco »

yeah, taht game was ok, but i didnt like the fact that you couldnt shoot off arms or destroy weapons...plus the added power cores? I mean come on, that like saying...Hey we got tech...so now we kill things like *snap* that
Life is like playing a card game. Its not whether you get the best hand, its whether or not you play the worst hand well.

Typhoon
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Typhoon »

:shock: :shock: WOW! Talk about resurrecting the long buried! :lol:

I liked MW3 but was indifferent to 4, probably because Windoze computers have always conspired against me, we do NOT like each other. :x

Mechcommander 1 frustrated me no end so I ended up not bothering to finish it. Again possibly computer issues.

MC 2 was a hoot and I would still play it if my frikkin' Windoze computer liked me and I it.

I played and enjoyed MechAssault as soon as I got the idea that this was a BT game out of my mind, it isn't a BT game it's a shooter with mecha somewhat related to BT. MA 2 was okay but ticked me off at the end. I just wanted to orbital bombard the damn machine.

Tried Megamek a few times but haven't really had a chance to fully explore it.

Did a PBEM BT game a time or two and enjoyed it until my Windoze decided to hate me. (Seems to be a theme for Windoze computers and me. They have never worked well for me so gaming suffers.)

Flaco
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Flaco »

I still hate the fact that MA was nothing like I thought it coulda shoulda didnt

Typhoon
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Typhoon »

Flaco wrote:I still hate the fact that MA was nothing like I thought it coulda shoulda didnt
Yeah, once you get BT out of your head it is a good game. That is particularly true with MA2 which infuriated me no end when BT crept into my mind but if I just played it as a mecha game I was okay with it until the end, damn head is faster than it should be! :x

Flaco
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Flaco »

Okay okay, the first playthrough was fun...but chargin PPCs?..sorry i keep flaming about this but COME ON!

Typhoon
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Typhoon »

Flaco wrote:Okay okay, the first playthrough was fun...but chargin PPCs?..sorry i keep flaming about this but COME ON!
Yeah, I know, that threw me off too but I got used to it. Not my favorite take on PPC's. :roll: